Friday, September 11, 2009

Brought to you by the Vikings

In the past I haven't been much of a yogurt person. I like my cereal with milk, and maybe a slice of toast for my morning meal. However, after having a bit of stomach issues a few weeks ago, I recently decided to give it another try in hopes that all the probiodic goodness would help settle my rumblin' tumblin' stomach.

While shopping for my yogurt at Whole Foods, I was amazed to find a new brand called Siggi's from - of all places - Iceland. Now, normally I'm not a fan of Icelandic food (sorry mom and any other Icelandic relatives that might be reading this). I mean, come on. When their idea of gourmet is boiled sheep head...doesn't exactly leave me wanting to come back for seconds. Their pastries though...now that's a different story. But now I'm getting off topic. The yogurt.

Skyr is the traditional yogurt of Iceland. In general, it's thicker, creamier and, in my opinion, way tastier. One of my biggest problems with American made yogurt is the sugar content. Most contain 20-30 grams of sugar which feels a bit high to me for such a little serving. Skyr on the other hand, contains only 4-10 grams - nearly half the amount of sugar! It also has 2-3 times the amount of protein found in other yogurt. Siggi's has a great section on the history and process of making skyr here.

I've tried about 3 of the flavors and have loved them all so far. As per my mom's recommendation (who is 100% Icelandic so I'd definitely trust her) - try adding a little milk to your serving with some fresh fruit!

1 comment:

  1. I've seen Siggi's before, but never tried it. Now I will.

    Try Liberte. It's not Icelandic, but it's amazing. The only thing I know about its nutrition is that it's 190 calories. Coconut is the best.

    Hope all's well with you and therealnaterob.

    ReplyDelete