Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Ultimate Comfort Food


I have a confession that you most surely will not believe: I cannot cook a grilled cheese sandwich. Really, I'm not lying. While I liked to think of myself as a pretty decent cook, the most basic of all food preparations - the grilled cheese - still seems to elude me. Cheese, bread, and butter. What could go wrong. Well, I'll tell you what can go wrong -- a not just singed, but completely charred, burnt mess of a sandwich. My mom will attest. Growing up, she faithfully prepared those I-got-home-late-I-need-to-eat-NOW grilled cheesy goodness because she knew if she didn't, a whole loaf of bread and block of cheese may end up in the trash.

That is, until last night. Last night I decided to meet my fear of the grilled cheese sandwich head-on. Oh, yes, I would make the mother of all grilled cheeses. No Kraft Singles here folks.

The goods:
- In my opinion, any good grilled cheese starts with the bread - Macrina Bakery's Rustic Potato was my loaf of choice for the night - though next time I may try to use Essential Baking Company's Rosemary Diamante.
-And, any grilled cheese is only as good as the type/quality of cheese you use. I decided to use a Gruyere (brand uncertain) & Beecher's Smoked Cheddar (all sliced paper thin for maximum melting)
- Caramelized onions: Saute about 1/2 an onion in butter with a splash of olive oil, a pinch of brown sugar, and salt and pepper to taste for a good 10-15 minutes. Onions should be soft, drippy and delicious.
-Thinly sliced Roma tomatoes

You know the drill. Slather some butter on the bread, and layer the cheese, onions and tomatoes in order of preference. Now, here's where 27 years of failed grilled cheeses went wrong - the temperature. I always tried to cook mine too quickly and cranked up the heat. The result - burned bread, and cheese that never fully melts.

But not this time. This time, I turned my heat down low -- way low (probably too low now that I think about it, as it took the sandwiches about 20 min to cook!) You want the cheese and bread to cook SLOWLY together. Flip often so both sides get equal amounts of heat. Remove from skillet when the bread has turned a lovely golden brown.

Serve with with a bowl of delicious homemade tomato soup (recipe from Giada's Kitchen, New Italian Favorites) and you've got the ultimate comfort food for a wintry evening in.

1 comment:

  1. Now Melissa can make a delicious grilled cheese sandwich. This one sounds so good that I will have to try it too. Can't go wrong on a great late night meal having grilled cheese sandwich with good tomato soup!!

    ReplyDelete