Monday, January 25, 2010

Herbed Mashed Peas for spring (and those impatient for it)


Surprise crocuses popped up in the garden, and my mom (a real gardener, while I'm just a person with a garden outside) confirmed that they're usually the earliest bloomers -- capable of breaking through snow.

If the flowers can forge ahead toward spring, so can I. In the absence of much good produce yet, I tried Herbed Mashed Peas, a bright green ode to the first inklings of springtime.

I've seen recipes for this a few places recently. Mint is the most common herb used, but seemed a bit too summery for January -- maybe I'll try in July. Most recommended serving with fish, but I had Mark Bittman's porkchops (I peppered heavily) in white wine.



Herbed Mashed Peas
You could probably figure this out based on the title alone, but here's an official recipe. :)
  • 20 oz frozen peas
  • 1 T butter
  • A generous amount of pea-compatible herbs. Try: 1/3 C fresh chopped mint, chives, or dill; 2 T chopped fresh basil + 1 T chopped fresh tarragon; or 1 T red pepper flakes + 1 tsp cumin + a couple roasted garlic cloves.
Melt butter in a large pan over medium. Add herbs, stirring till fragrant. Add peas, and stir gently until heated through (will take a few minutes, but do not overheat -- you want mashed peas, not mush). Puree in a food processor till coarsely mashed. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment