Tuesday, January 5, 2010

More Tannins for Your Buck

I'm still learning how to talk/write about wine. As a result, I'm always reluctant to do a post about wine because really, what would I say? "Mmmm this one's very red. Or, "Oooooo this one's very white". Very enlightening information for our 9 followers. It's not that I'm lacking experience. In fact, it's my drink of choice most week nights (as nearly any bottle pairs well with a Sex & the City re-run), and I'll almost always go for a glass of merlot over a bottle of beer. I guess I just haven't cared to think too critically about what I'm drinking.

So bear with me while I try and recommend a new favorite as of late. Let me preface by saying my budget is tight. I just bought a house for crying out loud. $10-15 is generally my max wine budget. I'm sure wines in this price range are nothing to rave about, but in the past few months I've thoroughly been impressed with Sagelands Vineyard from the good ol' Columbia Valley where you can snag a bottle for about $12 (or $9.99 with your QFC card). I've tried about 4 different varieties of this brand. Here are my tasting notes:

2006 Merlot - Very berry (sounds like I'm describing a Capri Sun) and full, though a bit too acidic for my tastes. I think this one was my least favorite.

2005 Freddie's Blend
- My favorite thus far. A red blend with a bit of a spice to it. I could see this one paired with a roast, stew, or steak.

2006 Cabernet Sauvignon
- Definitely sweeter and less acidic than the Merlot. A bit more flat...but in a good way. Definitely caught hints of some dark fruits like cherry and blackberry. I found this wine extremely well-balanced - no flavor was too dominant or overwhelming. Pretty versatile wine and good to bring to a party to pair with a variety of foods.

2007 Chardonnay
- This wine makes me daydream of summer. Crisp, light and refreshing. My 2nd favorite to Freddie's blend. Chilled, this will wine will be perfect for a summer BBQ with a grilled halibut.

Sagelands is open daily from 10am - 5pm. A visit to their tasting room is definitely on my 2010 "to do" list as is a general Columbia Valley wine tour.

2 comments:

  1. great to see you starting this! I can't wait to read more and watch your descent into a crazy hobby like Trev, Nate and I :P

    ReplyDelete