Saturday, August 14, 2010

Pretend Like it's the Weekend


Happy Saturday, dear readers. Remember me? If you don't, well, I can't say I blame you. Way back when, there were two contributors to this blog -- 2 teaspoons, if you will. I've been slacking. If fact, I haven't been slacking -- I straight up quit for a few months. OK, maybe 5 or 6 months. Raven has brilliantly been carrying the weight of our weekly updates and has posted some pretty fantastic recipes. If you haven't read her post on this beautiful Thai Beef Salad or Quinoa and Chickpea Salad, please do. Both are delicious ideas for a quick summer dinner.

OK, but back to Jack Johnson and banana pancakes. After my 4th trip to Hawaii last June, I'm officially hooked on these tasty buggers. I blame Boots and Kimo's -- pretty much the best breakfast joint in Hawaii. I've been working on perfecting my own mainland version for over a year now. I'm close, but I wouldn't say this recipe is perfection yet. Still, they're more than your average Saturday pancakes.

Banana & Coconut Pancakes
1 cup + a few extra Tablespoons flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt
1 egg
1 cup of milk (whole milk is best)
few drops of vanilla extract
dash of cinnamon
2 Tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
1/8 cup coconut flakes
1-2 ripe bananas (you want them a little mushy)

Sift dry ingredients together. Add the egg followed by the rest of the wet ingredients and thorough whisk thoroughly until batter is nice and thick, though maybe slightly drippy. Mix in the bananas and coconut flakes. Heat your pan to medium high and start flippin'.

Serve these with some freshly sliced bananas, a dusting of powdered sugar, and coconut syrup. If you've only got maple syrup on hand, that'll do as well. "Can't you see, can't you see; We've got to wake up slow." And then make some scrumptious pancakes -- island style.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, lovely! I thought the Icelandic pancakes were the best, but these look great too. Good thing the weekend has two days. :)

    ReplyDelete