Monday, May 31, 2010

Brightly-colored Thai beef salad

I meant to blog about this dish when I first made it, but now that I've tried it twice I can assure you it was no fluke the first time. I could make this once a week and be happy with it. And, I think it would be great for an outdoorsy potluck. Come on over. I'll make it for you.

Also exciting: we have enough lettuce in the garden to make an entire salad! Plus lots of arugula, and radishes, cilantro, fennel, chives, scallions (or something oniony I've been using as scallions -- whatever the old owner left us).


Pardon the bloody beef pics, you vegans and vegetarians. Marinated tofu would be great instead, though I can't imagine a comparable vegan substitute for the fish sauce in the dressing.

And for future reference: fish sauce is a questionable predecessor to whipped cream. Tonight we had this before strawberry shortcake. Although Brian said both were delicious, I think I'll opt for a mango sorbet or something more Thai-appropriate next time. (As if I really plan my dinner along with coordinating desserts.)

Thai beef salad
From Everyday Food, May 2010

For beef:
  • 2 T soy sauce
  • 2 tsp fish sauce
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 12 oz flank steak (8oz is plenty if you're making this for two people)
Combine and marinate overnight in the refrigerator or for ~15 minutes on the counter. Heat a heavy pan over high, place steak in and turn to medium. Cook 3-5 minutes on each side, for medium-rare steak. Let rest while you prepare the salad.

For salad, toss:
  • Enough lettuce to make the size salad you want, of whatever variety you want. The magazine says 2 heads of bibb lettuce. I used a large bowl full of assorted Very Fancy Raven's Garden lettuce.
  • 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, sliced 1/4-inch thick
  • 1 C cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 2 carrots, shaved with a vegetable peeler
  • 1/4 C fresh mint + 1/4 C fresh basil (or whatever herbs you want. Cilantro? Fennel? Sure.)
  • Oh, I also used about 1 C shredded red cabbage the first time I made this.
For dressing, stir together:

2 tsp fish sauce
2 tsp toasted sesame oil (which I bought only for this, but is amazing)
2 tsp sugar
1 T minced fresh ginger
1 small minced jalepeno (I used less than half and it was plenty)
2 T lime juice.

Toss dressing with salad. Slice rested steak thinly, then add to salad. Eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment