Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Drink of Desperation


Four nights in tropical loveliness, followed by four nights of the head-cold from hell. Word to wise: Never (and I really, truly mean "never") fly with a head-cold, sinus infection, or any other nasal or ear nastiness. It's dangerous and oh-so-painful. My doing so created not just one, but two ear infections.

Today is the first day in the past 3 days that I can actually hear breathe without having to first submerge my head in a steam-filled basin (or salad bowl, if you, like me, are lacking in the basin category) of boiling water. Here's a tip: Add 2 Halls Menthol cough drops in a salad bowl full of bowling water, cover your head with a cloth and breathe in deeply. It clears the sinuses like a charm, and also makes for hilarious photo fodder for your husband.

When my self-made salad bowl spa was failing, I remembered a drink I get at one of my favorite all organic vegan restaurants, Chaco Canyon. They have a hot juice drink called the "flu buster" that it supposed to stop a cold before it starts. I decided to try to make my own version with the Black and Decker juicer I got for our wedding. Another word to the wise: Never attempt to make a drink involving cayenne pepper without a solid recipe.

Though mine tasted completely awful and could definitely use some revisions (how's that for an endorsement for you?), both ears are clear today, so maybe the disgusting-ness was worth it. If you're in a state of congested desperation, give it a try. I call it:


Cayenne K.O.
3 carrots -- I would add less next time as it was a little too carrot juice-y
Health benefits: stimulates the immune system and the production of anti-bodies that make good remedy in fighting off bacterial and viral infections.

1 apple
-- Maybe I'd add 2 next time
Health benefit: Helps to detoxify the body and has an antiviral property

2 large halfs of a ginger root
-- I think this was plenty
Health benefit: anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties, great for upset stomachs. Ginger’s warming action is also excellent for treating a cold or flu.

fresh lemon
-- Don't put this in the juicer, use a lemon squeezer to get all the juice out.
Health benefit: Lemon has anti-viral properties and lots of Vitamin C

1 fresh orange
-- Don't put this in the juicer, either; cut in small pieces and use the lemon squeezer
Health benefit: Full of immune system boosting Vitamin C

(very, very small) pinch of cayenne pepper -- I probably added 1/8 of a tsp and that went a loooooooooong, spiiiiiiiiiiiiicy way.
Health Benefit: stimulates circulation and blood flow. It's high concentratio of capsaicin also effectively opens and drains congested nasal passages. Read more about the benefits of cayenne pepper here & here.

2 garlic cloves -- I put in 5 and that was way too much
Health benefits: has very potent anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. Raw garlic is a great natural antibiotic.

(I put in tabasco sauce at the last minute for an extra kick, and I'd definitely omit it next time. Flavor doesn't mix with the rest of the ingredients and the cayenne is all the pepper you'll need.)

Heat, serve, and witness the nasal-cleansing magic.

1 comment:

  1. A new 2 teaspoons category: herbal remedies!

    Hopefully no one else needs to try this soon, but it sounds more healthful than DayQuil. Good to hear that it's working, though!

    ReplyDelete