Sunday, February 14, 2010

Pasta with beets, greens, and goat cheese



So I had some beets, and I wanted some pasta.

Unfortunately, I found no beat sauces in my many cookbooks, and "beet pasta" search results returned recipes for creating pink noodles from scratch. While enticing, I rarely have motivation to use that Marcato pasta maker I received so many Christmases ago. My enthusiasm for kneading and flattening and cutting and drying does not match my enthusiasm for fresh, hand-made pink pasta.

But finally I found a couple recipes that outlined roasting beets, then cubing them and tossing into a little stock with garlic, and simmering down to saucy consistency. Steam or blanch a leafy green, like kale. Toss together your cooked pasta, kale, and sauce. Don't be skimpy with the sauce -- since it's quite thin, the pasta will absorb much of it. Reserve extra stock or pasta-cooking water to add if the final mixture is too dry. Sprinkle with goat cheese just before serving.



1 comment:

  1. You, my dear, are OBSESSED with beets. Cute dish for Valentine's Day! My strawberry cupcakes are in the oven!

    ReplyDelete