Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Bird is the word: spatchcock

Repeat after me: Spatchcock!

Everyday Food tells me this is the proper term for chicken, etc, when you remove the backbone and flatten it for cooking. The technique offers quick roasting (~30 minutes) and thoroughly-crisped skin, plus an opportunity to shout "Spatchcock!!" at your guests or significant other all evening. Instructions here.

In truth, I didn't actually have a whole chicken available for spatchcocking. So I tested a recipe from the magazine with chicken thighs, and it was pretty fantastic, plus speedy and cheap. I'll try again with the real butterflied bird. In case you can't spare $3 for the magazine, here's a summary of the "recipes:"
  • Spatchcock Chicken
  • ... with Potatoes: Roast chicken with potatoes. Garnish with thyme.
  • ... with Chickpeas: Roast chicken with chickpeas. Garnish with cilantro and lime.
  • ... Chicken with Tomatoes: Roast chicken with smallish tomatoes and 1/2 C white wine. Garnish with basil.


Above is the chicken with chick peas (also known as garbanzo beans, a name I prefer because it reminds me of muppets). I'm sure you can dream up your own creative variations on flattened poultry, along with ways to use this word in everyday conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment