Friday, October 2, 2009

An Apple Cider a Day


Put on your raincoat and galoshes, kids -- fall is officially here. As a person who generally gets chilled in balmy 80-degree weather, this is not good nor welcomed news. However, to help me come to terms with the gray and rain, I am trying to find a few things that I am looking forward to this season. Cozing up with a cup of hot apple cider is high on the list.

While catching a ride home from work with a friend last fall, I heard a clanking of glass coming from her backseat. Curiously, I asked her why she had so many glass jars in her car. She excitedly informed me that these glass jugs contained the tastiest cider in the world and that she had just purchased them from a local farmer's market. Always attempting (and always failing) to kick my coffee habit, I decided to hit up the market the next weekend and give it a try.


Rockridge Orchards and Cidery is the name of the farm, and it didn't take long for me to locate their stand at the market as there were swarms of people politely inching their way forward to claim their prized sample. The farm is located in Enumclaw, Washington, and while they sell a medley of other products such as dried fruits, syrups, honey, and wine, it seems apparent that cider is their crowd favorite.

As I sipped on the 3 apple-blend sample, it was confirmed that yes, this is indeed the best cider in the world. Needless to say, I promptly bought a jug. The cider is a bit on the pricey side: $8 will get you a gallon, which I found will generally last the entire week. Also, if you end up becoming an addict (and you most certainly will), bring back the empty jug the following week to get $1 off your next gallon. A year after my first taste, my favorite is still the 3 apple cider blend, but others worth mentioning include the spiced cider, asian oear cider and raspberry apple cider.

The Seattle forecast will no doubt call for perpetual gray skies for the next 9 months, so you've got plenty of time to go pick up your own gallon. Heat it slowly over the stove (I liked to add a bit of cinnamon and cloves) and finish with a dollop of caramel and whip cream. Sit back by the fire with a blanket and book and you've got yourself a cozy fall evening.

All images borrowed from Rockridge Orchards & Cidery

No comments:

Post a Comment