Friday, October 30, 2009

Fonte's Sage Latte

Image borrowed from Cooking Light

Image borrowed from Sarah + H on flickr

I am a coffee addict. There, I admit it. And, in true Seattle fashion, I am a Starbucks hater -- though not for the typical anti-corporate-stick-it-to-the-man reason. I just don't like their coffee. It's bitter, burnt, acidic and boring. There, I said it. While Zoka's may be my one true love, as of late, I find myself having a repeated 10am affair with a 12oz 2% extra hot latte from the new Fonte Coffee & Wine Bar on 1st Ave that adjoins the Four Seasons.

While at first I found the interior coldly modern and sleek, complete with a dingbat baristra who (no joke) squealed at her horrid attempt at a leaf pattern in the foam, I decided to give it a 2nd chance. And then a 3rd, 4th...and...well...the coffee is just so damn good! And don't even get me started on their pastries...and the homemade jam? DE-licious. But, in all seriousness, in the past 2 months since it's opening, the cafe has certainly found it's footing, with an incredibly sweet team of baristas who literally start making my drink before I've even walked through the door and play the best (old) local Seattle music (I had totally forgotten about Damien's Where Shall You Take Me Album).

But, back to the point of this post (mindless wordy meanderings is inevitable when you start a blog post at 12:30am) -- today I tried one of the most inventive fall coffee drinks -- a sage latte -- complete with a rosemary rubbed cup. While my first sip took me a little by surprise (think forest in a cup), it's earthly, green, herbal goodness started to grow on me. And best of all, no sugary syrup was used! Though this was a Friday special, I'm hoping it'll still be on Monday's menu.

Take that Starbucks pumpkin latte.

1 comment:

  1. Friday special! Maybe they'll have some leftover sage if I go by today.

    "Forest in a cup" is not exactly what I look for in coffee, :) but I've been kinda sick of sugary morning muffins and scones -- maybe more-savory coffee is next.

    ReplyDelete