Sunday, October 25, 2009

Wine, with brunch


Aside from infrequent mimosas, wine is not something I drink before noon. But my love of both prosecco and brunch made Eva's invitation to a four-course Sunday brunch with wine pairings irresistible. Pinot nior and lamb hash? Don't mind if I do!

The event was the innagural collaboration between Jack's Cellars and Hudson Public House, adjacent establishments in the relatively uninviting intersection of 15th and Lake City Way. Inside, Hudson pub is warm and open, with friendly staff and a surprisingly ambitious menu.

I can't say every plate was successful -- too courses of duck is a bit odd, the basted eggs were undercooked, and the lamb hash was under-seasoned. Brunch, to me, is not a place to worry over fat or sodium content -- butter it up, and give me some salt. Overall, though, the ingredients were interesting and everything was thoughtful: breakfast food aiming for dinner caliber.

The highlight: a wine flight. Expert pairing and generous pours made restitution for any lacked luster on the plates. Glittering prosecco always makes me happy and I love a full-bodied red, so the first and fourth wines won me over before they hit my palate. We went home with the latter, a 2006 old vine zinfandel from Klinker Brick, and I'll look for the former, Fantinel NV Extra Dry Prosecco, next time I'm in need of bubbles. The first course was a basic cheese and fruit spread (decent figs), and the finale a fairly delicious, very peppery chicken sausage wrapped in a nicely-crispy crepe.


Our tablemates included another new-homeowning couple. She's the writer/photog for needle+thread, a Seattle street style blog; he's a web developer who recommended Basil Hayden. Regardless of whether one's first passion is fashion, food, or politics, I don't think I've met a Seattlite in years who's life isn't thoroughly knit with technology.

The second and third courses brought Neyers Carneros Chardonnay and Fess Parker Pinot Noir, served with a smoked duck and shallot fritatta and a lamb hash with basted duck egg, respectively. I'm neither a chardonnay nor pinot fan, but found both of these appealing enough to finish at least a glass of each -- possibly due to being already tipsy, among good company, and having nothing more pressing at home than a nap. And, ultimately, this sense of leisure is undoubtedly the most compelling part of a Sunday brunch -- to savor the indulgent, indolent moment between work weeks. If someone wants to pour me a few glasses of wine to aid this endeavor, I will not turn down the invitation.

1 comment:

  1. I love Brian's face in this photo. It's like, "are you going to be taking photos for the blog EVERY time we eat out?"

    Sorry Brian, the answer is probably yes :)

    ReplyDelete