Thursday, October 29, 2009

Poetry of Food: a collective memoir


I'm excited to discover Poetry of Food this morning. The new project looks more magazine than blog or database, with cleverly-titled columnists, a cover story, and lovely photography and design. Plus, opportunities for readers to create their own content. The "curator," Rony Zibara, calls it a "global food memoir," a collection of food experiences from a variety of perspectives.

The "Food and Travel" section makes me swoon, and I'm interested to see what "Recipes from Mom" will offer. The concept of food+memory, and food as a sentimental, imperfect thing (not polished or manufactured), is very appealing to me and very of-the-moment. Current culinary trends encourage us to refer to our roots, cook what we love, and concern ourselves with taste over perfect presentation. A little piece by the curator captures this in a comparison of Martha Stewart and Julia Child -- as much as I love Martha, I'd pick a dish from Julia if both were cooking for me.

So I've barely skimmed the site, but it looks promising. I'm excited to see what they bring to the table! ;)

Poetry of Food

1 comment:

  1. I think this Poetry of Food magazine is absolutely beautiful!!

    I worked my way through the story after story, especially loved the food and travel story about Adopting a Truffle tree in France.

    I also made the Risotto on the home page

    yum!!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete