Thursday, March 18, 2010

Tea for Two


Yesterday morning, I wandered across campus for a meeting with someone I kind of knew, but not really. I was very early (on account of my own general confusion) and she had just arrived, but as soon as she unlocked her office door, she offered me a cup of tea.

I enjoyed the tea, strongly vanilla. But the unexpected social pause it brought was even more delightful. I arrived prepared for spreadsheets and action items, and instead found a few minutes to talk about maps, family, careers. I felt more comfortable with my colleague, more engaged with our work conversation. Maybe her general open demeanor would have made it a pleasant meeting regardless, but I think the tea set a friendly, personal tone often absent from offices and conference rooms.

I've had other beverage moments with colleagues -- sing-along tea times with Kelsey, Very Important Meetings at the Faculty Club, perhaps a party with a few too many drinks (I do *not* recommend this as a team-building strategy). But maybe I'll keep a basket of tea around for visitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment