Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Countdown to Thanksgiving: one day!

Thanksgiving is tomorrow, so I have the day off work to make sure everything from the table to the turkey is ready. My To Do list includes cleaning, setting out my serving dishes to make sure I have everything covered, and prepping a few dishes that can be started in advance.  

My day-before cooking list:
  • Prep the green bean casserole - trim and blanch the beans and fry the shallots
  • Cut the sweet potatoes into wedges for bourbon sweet potatoes
  • Trim and cut the brussels sprouts in half
  • Start the dough for no-knead bread





All of my sides are coming from Everyday Food's excellent Thanksgiving spread. Two of the recipes I mentioned in a previous post as compromises between traditional and what I actually want to make and eat. The green bean casserole uses fresh ingredients, instead of everything from a can, and the sweet potatoes are baked with bourbon, but can still be topped with a dusting of marshmallows -- hopefully satiating everyone's needs for jet-puffed fluff.

Buster, a big fan of raw vegetables, thoroughly enjoyed his brussels sprout. 

1 comment:

  1. Love the photos! I'm starting the dough for no-knead bread tonight too!

    ReplyDelete