Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Getting Fresh and shopping online

Our kitchen was depleted, down to disparate items that I personally am not creative enough to combine (let me know if you have a recipe that requires blueberries, shrimp, and assorted leftover Halloween candy).

Since I'm not a fan of hurried after-work shopping on dark fall nights, I opted for incomparably convenient Amazon Fresh.


Order online, pay $5 for delivery (or spend $75 and get free delivery), and find your groceries on your doorstep at a time you request. The selection is good, only occasionally lacking -- I found delicata squash, but no turkey thighs. Everything arrives well-packed, with temperature-controlled totes for cold foods. Other grocery-delivery services never appealed to me, but I'm a bit of an Amazon addict and Fresh was a favorite service immediately.

So with a cup of tea and my October copies of Everyday Food and Living, I browsed recipes and searched for supplies -- spending a total of $53 and 15 minutes of three interesting dinners, plus extras (lots of red pepper + tomato soup). I have my recipes bookmarked, and all the ingredients will be waiting on my doorstep when I get home from work.

Shopping on Fresh always feels more expensive than our usual grocery trips, but primarily because I see my expenses add up before checkout -- something I have not mastered off-line, and I'm always too willing to forget that final total from the check-out aisle. Fresh also has frequent deals for new shoppers, and discounts on bulk items or items you order frequently.

Plus, planning ahead always pays off and it's a little easier when I can shop from my kitchen. The recipes I picked this morning are more interesting than what I'd find wandering aimlessly through Costco. So what's on the menu?
Look for them in future blog posts! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment