Monday, November 9, 2009

Spring Hill's secret Monday menu

For my birthday this past October, my husband took me to a restaurant called Spring Hill -- a West Seattle restaurant that has been on my food radar ever since it opened last year. The restaurant boasts a commitment to using "local ingredients from Northwest farmers and fishermen" to make dishes that are "fresh, flavorful, and simple". It recently made Bon Appetit's list of "Top Ten Best New Restaurants in America". As recent West Seattle transplants, we were eager to find our new local spot. But I'll have to say, much to my dismay, it did not make my list of top ten, or even top 20 restaurants in Seattle.

My husband and I found the menu a bit too fancy for our tastes: a section for hot foods and cold foods? Really? Should I get the "dungeness crab with spicy mayo, celery, and squid ink crouton" or the "fattened duck liver terrine?" This is their idea of a simple menu? As my husband sipped his accidental $3 order of carbonated water, we weighed our expensive options. Ultimately I decided on the $17 1/2-lb. hamburger, which, I'll admit, was quite tasty, though definitely not worth the price. My husband ordered the flank steak -- hot, please.

As we left that night, we decided maybe we'd go back once or twice a year for special occasions. That is, until we discovered their secret menu: Monday Night Supper Club, a.k.a. gigantic (and relatively inexpensive) spaghetti feed!

The menu:
Caesar salad for 2: $10
White or red spaghetti: $10 (two people could definitely share this) that comes with a cheesy slice or two of garlic bread
Meatballs: $3 each
Red or white wine: $6
Sorbet for dessert: $4

We went back the following Monday to check it out and now we're hooked. Apparently, there is somewhat of a cult following behind this supper club and I can see why: deliciously fresh, simple, and flavorful local food at a reasonable price, right in our backyard. We may not have found our staple, everyday West Seattle restaurant joint, but we certainly found one for Monday's.
All photos via www.springhillnorthwest.com

No comments:

Post a Comment