Sunday, November 15, 2009

Cranberry vodka, direct from Martha Stewart


Last winter I took a trip to visit all the friends who've left me for the other side of the country: two weeks in Chicago, Ann Arbor, Manhattan, and Northampton and Boston, MA. Along the way, I stopped to see someone else: Martha Stewart.  

It's no secret I love Martha, primarily because she carries her general air of perfection with such non-chalance. (You didn't hand-sew the 24 linen napkins for thanksgiving dinner, or raise the turkey on your farm upstate, while managing your commercial empire, recording a daily TV show, and maintaining perfect skin? What exactly are you doing with your time?) 

It's easy to apologize for or feel uncomfortable about our success -- we are uncertain of our cooking or entertaining skills, and women rarely ask for raises or promotions at work. Martha turned a catering business into an major corporation, and elevated the traditionally feminine skills of entertaining and home-keeping to be commercially significant (if still not quite glamorous or professionally well-respected). She managed to navigate a prison term without losing her image. She's not a chef or an artist, but she knows how to bring elegant food to a beautiful table -- and, more importantly, she knows how to sell you the idea and the supplies for the feast, and still seem like your too-perfect, enviable friend.  

So I stood in line in Chelsea, with scores of giddy Martha fans from around the country. Inside, during a lengthy warm-up session by Martha assistants, I was picked to ask a question. I would stand up, on camera, in a new grey dress and a bright red scarf, and Martha Stewart would say hello to me, and I would ask her a question.  

Martha: Please raise your hand if you do have a question. Oh, a lot of people have questions.  

Me (with exceptional awkwardness): Hi Martha. My name's Raven, and I'm from Seattle, WA, and I was wondering if you had a favorite holiday drink recipe that you could mix ahead of time for a party, to serve to a group of people.

Martha: Well, we have that great cranberry vodka that I just love, and the recipe's on our website at marthastewart.com. Make that ahead of time, it tastes better after a week or two. 
So make it today or tomorrow, and you will have it in time for the holidays. It's really great. 

So I bought the cranberries and the largest jug of vodka I could find (complete with plastic handle, for pouring). The recipe is super easy, and -- from what I remember of the pink concoction pouring through our New Year's Eve party last year -- super easy to drink. It would be lovely with club soda or mixed with something fruity, but you can drink it straight. 

Cranberry-and-orange Vodka from Martha Stewart
  • 1 cup fresh cranberries 
  • 1/4 cup sugar 
  • 2 tablespoons water 
  • 1 piece fresh orange peel (2-by-1-inch) 
  • 3 cups vodka
Dissolve sugar in water in a saucepan, and add cranberries and orange peel. When the berries just begin to pop and the sugary liquid is pink, pour into vodka, stir, and store for at least 1-2 weeks (up to 3 months). Strain out berries before serving.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Martha! You never cease to amaze. I totally remember you telling me about that experience (and I still have the Ball jars you left at my place--they currently hold grains and such). Well Raven, I am inspired to make some of this cranberry vodka--and I am glad I have your number for when I get confused.
    -Kelsey

    ReplyDelete