Saturday, November 14, 2009

Sugar and spice and everything nice

Anyone who's seen a marathon of Bang For Your Buck knows kitchen upgrades can drain your savings without any guaranteed payoff. I do not recommend the bizarre choice of a leather-topped kitchen island. What I do recommend, and what won't even empty your wallet: an in-drawer spice organizer

More expensive versions exists, but I don't think your cumin cares if it rests against mahogany or plastic. I found this expandable version on Amazon for about $15. Size does matter -- these come in sizes from a few inches wide to more than 20 (this one conveniently expands from 12" to 20"). Most hold jars help at an angle -- making labels easier to read, and leaving less chance of liquids dripping. 

Organizing this drawer made me realize I have fewer spices than I thought (which of course makes me want more), but they're all easier to find now. Previously, I had a mess of bottles and jars in a dark, vaguely crummy cupboard, with only the front few easily accessible -- it was like some dingy, back-alley spice party, incompatible strangers crammed together and god-knows-what going on in the dark corners of the room. If you're looking for a simple, instant-gratification update, save your spices from awkward mingling and opt for some in-drawer organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment