Sunday, November 22, 2009

Thanksgiving preparations: Mulled wine

I wanted a beverage that was fun and not too boozy for thanksgiving, so Megan at work suggested mulled wine. My mom suggested the crock pot, for keeping the wine consistently warm and leaving the stove free. 

I decided to practice my mulling today. Most recipes are similar, but I picked a German glühwine based on my very fond memories of studying in Berlin in winter -- glühwine is not a fancy drink, but something you find at kiosks on the street and in cheap boxes in the supermarket


I needed cloves and cinnamon sticks, and found them with the Mexican spices, among plastic baggies of peppers. These were less expensive than those I found in the larger spice section -- and since they're soaking in cheap wine, I'm not too worried if it's the very best cinnamon stick in the world.

For my practice round, I'm mulling one bottle of wine in my smaller crock pot -- one standard 750 ml bottle of wine is about 1 quart. Wine type doesn't seem to matter much, beyond something red and dry. Different sources online suggest burgundy and zinfandel.  
 

I considered buying some festive mugs for serving, but while I was looking for this crock pot I found a box of heavy goblets and glasses inherited from my grandmother. The style is a bit too elaborate for daily use (spent much time trying to find the right word), but I think they'll be fun for having family over. And I'm glad to finally have a chance to use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment